The Norrie Amateur Sports Club began during the depths of the Great Depression in 1932 when a neighborhood baseball team started soliciting area businesses for donations toward uniforms. A business owner named Lundin said he would donate five dollars (a lot of money in 1932) if they were chartered as a club.
The club organized on November 1st, 1932 with 15 members present. The first clubhouse was a repurposed chicken coop that members cleaned out and painted. It was located at the dead-end of Oak Street on the eastern side of the hill. During the first meeting of the newly formed N.A.S.C., a motion was made to purchase 15 cents worth of kerosene for the lamps so members could see in the Clubhouse at night.
With the club started, dances were held at the Ironwood Memorial Building to raise more money. Then in 1933, members built a softball field. Three years later in 1936, members built a new clubhouse out of fieldstone on the corner of Houk Street and what is now known as Aspen Street. That same year the club was incorporated.
In 1946, the field we know as Randa Field was completed as a gift to the Club’s soldier members when they returned home from serving our country in World War II. The first official game played on the field was in May 1946. Soon after Jake Randa’s death in April 1955, the softball field would be officially named Jake Randa Memorial Field as it is still known today. Randa Field still hosts softball leagues and tournaments yearly and will always honor the name of Jake Randa.
The Club’s present-day and 4th physical location is at 385 Aspen Street. Our current Clubhouse has been in operation since 1991 and is still located adjacent to Jake Randa Memorial Field in Norrie. It still serves as a daily meeting place for many and current membership totals average over 200 members a year. We still actively sponsor and promote area amateur sports and athletes