Welcome to Hurley!! Located in the Northeast corner of state and home to over 14 waterfalls, Hurley is the hub for those who want to experience an active lifestyle. North Iron County is the gateway to over 200 miles of groomed snowmobile trails, 150 miles of ATV/ UTV trails, hiking, hunting & fishing along with local restaurants offering traditional family recipes handed down from generation to generation. While here you will want to:
- See the remnants of the world’s deepest iron ore mine in Montreal, WI, where early settlers worked nearly a mile underground. The entire town of Montreal was built as a mining community. The Montreal Mining Company provided everything that they felt the miners and their families needed, from shopping, entertainment, services, churches, etc. The entire town of Montreal is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Enjoy the largest freshwater lake in the world, Lake Superior, which contains 10% of the world’s fresh water supply and as much water as the other four great lakes combined. Saxon Harbor at Lake Superior is Iron County’s gateway to the Chequamegon Bay which means the ‘gathering of the waters.’ From Saxon Harbor, one can fish, swim, boat or sail in the beautiful waters that make up Gitchee Gumee, which means’ big water.’
- Visit Pence, Wisconsin, which has the greatest concentration of log buildings of any town of its size in the state of Wisconsin. Italian and Corsican immigrants settling in this area to work the iron ore mine or logging camps built their homes and outbuildings using logs and other materials they would find. More than 20 unique log buildings, representing different styles of log construction are scattered throughout the community. State historical signage is on display in Pence referring to these historic buildings.
- Discover the Annala Round Barn, just south of Hurley, which is the only round barn in Wisconsin made entirely of massive field stones. It was built in 1917 by Finnish Stonemason Matt Annala and is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
- Spectacular Waterfalls. As our rivers race northward toward Lake Superior, more than 30 cascades surround the Hurley Area. Iron County has 14 some are easily driven to, while most are located in more remote wild areas unspoiled by the crowds. All are worth the adventure of finding!!
Motorized Trails. North Iron County offers THE Ultimate Recreational Trail Adventure with access to hundreds of miles of electrifying trails — the largest trail system in Wisconsin. Our trail system has family friendly trails that are easier to navigate to the more challenging for the experienced rider. Scenic beauty abounds with many opportunities to “get back to nature.” Ride through forest land to the secluded Spring Camp Falls or out to the shore of the largest freshwater lake in the world, Lake Superior. The trails incorporate many of our county’s historic transportation, lumberjack and mining sites.
Pit stops on the trails are a must! Quaint pubs, taverns, rustic restaurants and an array of lodging choices are readily available. Hurley’s Famous Silver Street is an entire experience in itself with its sparkling nightlife and all the FUN that we are known for.